Giving lectures is quite an adrenaline-driven excercise, but always in a positive way. I love sharing the story of the Kurds and my view of it in public, and in the last couple of years have done so at universities, NGO’s, in European Parliament and at several conferences on Kurds. According to my audiences, my lectures are inspirational and thought provoking.
You can book me for lectures on Kurds and Turkey, and for lectures on (freelance) journalism as well. I can speak in Dutch, English and Turkish. Interested? Contact me!
On 8 April 2015 I gave a lecture in Diyarbakir. Well, it was actually my defence in the trial the state opened against me for ‘making propaganda for a terrorist organisation’. I presented my defence in Turkish. I put it online in Turkish and in English. By the way, that court case is ongoing. The prosecutor asked for my acquittal during the hearing and a few days later the judges acquitted me, but another prosecutor appealed. A court in Ankara is now looking into it. A decision was expected in spring 2016, but I am still waiting. There will be no hearing, since in Turkey appeals are handled administratively.
Upcoming public appearances (in Dutch unless otherwise mentioned):
* 11 August 2018: I will be interviewed about my book in popular radio show ‘Nieuwsweekend’, Dutch public radio, probably around 10.00 hrs but the details will be posted later.
* 1 September 2018: Lecture at Kurdish Community Center in The Hague. Details later.
* 8 September 2018: Lecture about my book in international book shop Het Fort van Sjakoo in Amsterdam, Jodenbreestraat 24 (very close to Waterlooplein). Start lecture: 17.00 hrs, end around 19.30, including Q&A and book sale and signing. Let me know if you come via the FB-event (there will be a phone number available for registration too), there is place for max 60 persons.
* 12 September 2018: In a panel about journalism at the Read My World Festival (10-13 October) in Amsterdam, which is this year dedicated to literature, arts and journalism in Turkey. For more information, check the RMW-website. I will give more details here when they are available!
* 27 November 2018: Beyers Naudé Lecture around the theme ‘Resistance and Reconciliation’ at the Christian Gymnasium Beyers Naudé in Leeuwarden, Netherlands. Only for students of the gymnasium, their parents and teachers.